Wednesday 3 October 2012

On weather and traveling

Current location: Sapa, Vietnam

I arrived in Sapa yesterday after riding my motorbike through some pretty amazing sceneries in the north-Vietnamese highlands.
There were hardly any clouds in the sky and at 1600 meters the air was clear and pure.
On my way up the mountains I saw some of the rice terraces and little villages that so many come here to see, and why I decided to come here on my way to Laos.
I checked in to a hotel and decided to take a shower and a nap before going out to explore the town.
45 minutes later I woke up and went to my balcony, only to see that a thick mist had rolled in, hiding the mountains and the next building from view.
I wasn't too worried, if the weather would change so fast, surely it would be nice and clear again in no time.
How wrong I was.
The fog wouldn't let up, and as I checked the weather forecast online, I found out that it would only get worse for the next few days, with a thunderstorm heading in.
Normally this wouldn't be a problem, for I'm not on a two week holiday with ten more destinations to see before my flight home. I could just sit the bad weather out drinking coffee and reading or playing games, but as it happens, my visa is once again running out. On Sunday I need to leave the country.
The town of Tay Trang sits on the border of Vietnam and Laos, and is only a days ride from Sapa, but as the weather is going to get rough, I'm going to give myself at least two days, so I don't need to hurry.
In preparation to the weather I bought a weatherproof riding outfit, spare parts for the bike and plastic bags and a rice sack for my backpack.

So what I'm saying is, sometimes traveling can get rough, and sometimes you simply don't get to see what you wanted to see, and that's okay. You can't win them all.

Here's where I am (supposedly):






This is what I see:





All I need is a 9mm pistol with no ammo, a length of pipe
and a handheld AM/FM-radio.

If you get that last reference, kudos to you, if not, you need to play more video games.

No comments:

Post a Comment