Monday 3 September 2012

Kyoto & Osaka

Current location: Beijing, China

Damn. It's been almost a month since my last post. And as you can see I've made my way across the sea and up to Beijing. I guess time flies when you're having fun, huh?
To business:

They call Kyoto the cultural capital of Japan. Osaka I've heard being described as Tokyo's little brother on crack.
Bet you can't guess which one I liked better.


I went around the mandatory sights in Kyoto, and while the temples and shrines are kinda cool, once you've seen two or three, you've seen them all.
Kyoto wasn't all boring though. I did meet new people and had tons of fun.
I went on a crazy fishing trip with friends, blasting through the night on motorbikes. I led a beer-fuelled expedition in search for a bar in the wee hours in a city where everything closes shortly after midnight. I rented a bicycle and spent hours riding through the different neighbourhoods, getting lost as usual.
Having spent a couple of days in Kyoto I took a train to Osaka, where I met up with some friends I had made in Tokyo, and spent a weekend exploring the nightlife, which I must say is easily on par with that of Tokyo.

My plan was to spend a few days in Kyoto and Osaka before continuing towards Hiroshima and Fukuoka to take a ferry to China.
Having learned from my fuck up in Russia, I started my research on the ferry and on the visa early, and found out that the easiest way for me to get a boat and the visa was at Osaka, so I decided to skip western Japan and submitted my visa application. This meant that I was stuck in Kansai for a week. Luckily that week happened to coincide with the Daimonji-festival, so at least there was something interesting going on.


Fushimi Inari, check. Next.

The Golden Pavilion, check. Next.

Ryoan-ji kare-sansui zen garden, check. Next.

Kiyomizu-dera, check. Next.
Gion by night.

Kamogawa and riverside restaurants in Kyoto.
Hidari Daimonji.

Funagata.
Osaka castle.
Attacking Osaka castle, ninja style!
Osaka seen from the top of Osaka castle.

Osaka castle moat.
What's missing from this picture?
Answer: Nothing.
Alcohol and vintage video games, what else could you need?
Space Station in Amemura, Osaka.

No comments:

Post a Comment