Tuesday 19 June 2012

The first day

I did not think that on the fist day of my trip I'd be riding around Moscow in a brand new Merc, or that I'd spend the evening watching football and smoking hookah with a houseful of young Muscovites and end up downing fancy drinks in a top end club overlooking Moscow under siege by a thunderstorm.

Still, that pretty much sums up my first day.

After arriving at Leningradskiy station at around 0800 in the morning, I made my way through the spectacular Moscow metro to Novye Cheremushki where my friend Dmitry was waiting for me. He took me to his place, we had a quick breakfast and mere moments later were on the grand avenues of the nearly deserted metropolis. Dmitry was happy for the lack of traffic, and told me that normally it would take ages to get anywhere by car in Moscow, but since nearly everybody had gone to their "dachas", or country homes due to the two day national holiday, the streets were as good as empty.

Having driven around for a good while, taking in some of the more well known sights, we stopped for a meal at a Ukrainian restaurant and were joined by two of Dmitry's friends, Nikolay and Dmitry, whom I would see again that night, for my host had invited people over to watch football and have dinner.

I don't much care for football, so I spent the evening learning Russian in a hookah-ring.
Once the game ended, Dmitry announced we'd be going out, and since I would never pass the infamous Moscow "face control" wearing what I'd brought for the trip, Dmitry lent me some of the contents of his closet. After a quick "makeover" I was deemed worthy and, though my pants and shirt were a bit tight ("You're a victim of fashion", I was told), headed for the heart of the city.
After several rounds of karaoke (none of which I took part in, sorry Dima), some Patron and cocktails, it was time to head home and crash.

No comments:

Post a Comment