Saturday 9 June 2012

The Beginning pt. 4

10,7 kg says the luggage scale. Close enough.
I did indulge a bit by packing my DSLR camera, a hammock, a cotton sleeping bag, a mosquito net and a bottle of Permethrin, all of which I could probably do without.
Still, if I lose the Permethrin I can board pretty much any international flight with my backpack as carry-on. Not that I intend to fly. At all.
Which brings us to The Plan.

My intention is to travel around the planet using only land and sea transport, mostly because you get to see much more of the world than when crammed into an aluminium tube flying in the stratosphere. (And cuz, you know, the indians say that if you travel too fast you leave your soul behind, which sounds bad...)
As stated in the description, the general direction of travel is east, with one major westward deviation in East Asia, where I do a near 180 in Japan and head for India.
I don't really have any obligations that would dictate the length of my trip, but a year sounds about right. Then again, I might get mugged and raped in a dark alley in Moscow or I might spend all my money on Pachinko in Japan. Or I might end up stuck in my hammock on a beach somewhere and live the rest of my life as a beach bum.
But "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all", so tomorrow I'll board the train and bid farewell to family, friends and Finland to embark on an adventure of my own.

Wish me luck, I fear I'm going to need all I can get...

No comments:

Post a Comment